How to Manage Undelivered Mail/Mailing Lists Messages
Your cpanel has mailing list software on board. Please be sure to read the developers information before you start to use any list.
As with all mailing lists many of your subscribers will no longer be using their startup email address and as a consequence you will receive large numbers of undelivered / bounced email returning to you.
Typically these undelivered mail messages are delivered to your default account (even if you have it set to :fail: ). This will cause your default mailbox to fill rapidly.
Best practice when sending out to your mailing list is to properly manage the bounced messages. We recommend that before you start on the next mailing list that you manage the bounces by logging in to your default mailbox via webmail as follows:
- URL is http://mail.yourcompletedomainname/webmail
- Username and password are the same as your cpanel username and passwordPassword Security
A note about passwords
When it comes to passwords, they can only protect your website when they are strong. This means that passwords must adhere to the following criteria.
1. Use twelve digit alpha-numeric combinations- something like: JK,y=y u%TyG3 or similar non-words. Absolutely NEVER use the above “example” password. Update your password in all “Applications” includes and is not limited to:
- email accounts
- any CMS applications you are using like WordPress, Joomla or Soholaunch etc
- Your sub-user accounts in any CMS you have installed and who have password access should also be updated.
2. Have a different and unique password for each application as when hackers can crack one –all other logins with same or even similar passwords will be vulnerable
3. For security everyone is reminded to be careful about who they share their passwords with and how they share the passwords. Using a password in email is NOT at all recommended. Whenever sending a password via email, consider transmitting it as an image instead of via text.
4. Regularly Changed. By periodically updating your passwords, you lessen the chance that a leaked password can be used to gain access to your website.
- Log in to HORDE to review the contents of your mail box.
- In Horde click on MAIL > OPTIONS > choose “Other Options”
- Click on ‘Mailbox and Folder Display Options’
- Enter the number 999 into the box beside “Messages per page in the mailbox view.”
- You will now see that each page has 999 messages displayed. ( Note you can upsize or downsize the number of messages to display as appropriate for your use)
- To delete the page of messages. GO to ‘Select’ > Drop Down to ‘ALL’
- Go to ‘Mark As’ > Drop down to ‘Deleted’ This will place a line through all the messages on that page.
- The final step is to empty the deleted mail off the server. Find the command that says: ‘purge deleted’ and when you click on this, the 999 mail messages are completely deleted off the server.
- Continue in this fashion until you have cleared all the pages.
Just because this is time consuming please do not put this maintenance task off and then find that you have clogged your mailbox and disk space. There is no quick fix.