Mail Problems – How to troubleshoot common problems
Mail Issues are common and can be due to a wide variety of possibilities.
There are Firewalls in place on your server to prevent unsolicited attacks. Unsuccessful logins to any of your services ( cpanel, ftp, mail) are logged, and when several unsuccessful logins are received the server will blacklist the requesting IP address and no further access is possible from that IP.
- If this happens to you we recommend that you try a modem restart. This link may be handy
- If you are still encountering issues please email us with your IP address (find at www.whatismyip.com) so that we can whitelist it.
If this does not do the trick:
Run a TRACERT and send us the results. The traceroute utility checks how many “hops” (transfers through other computers on a network) it takes for your computer to contact another computer ( or your server). Please provide us with the output of the traceroute result from your PC / machine from which you face the issue You can get this result as follows:
- If you are using a Windows machine:
- “Start” > “Run” > Type “cmd” – This will launch the command line interface.
- In this interface, type the command:
- tracert yourDomainAddress <ENTER> (Note spaces)e.g. tracert com <press enter>
- If you are using any other OS, type the following in the console: traceroute YourDomainNameGoesHere
- tracert owhexample.com
- after the prompt you should see something similar to the following:
Tracing route to owhexample.com [126.96.36.199] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 202-93-105-28.static.dsl.net.au [188.8.131.52]
3 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms 184.108.40.206
4 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms 220.127.116.11
5 31 ms 33 ms 30 ms xe-5-1-0.r05.sydnau01.au.bb.gin.ntt.net [18.104.22.168]
6 172 ms 172 ms 172 ms as-2.r02.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [22.214.171.124]
7 173 ms 172 ms 172 ms xe-0-0-7.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [126.96.36.199]
8 172 ms 173 ms 173 ms ae-2.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [188.8.131.52]
9 174 ms 174 ms 174 ms be2914.ccr21.lax04.atlas.cogentco.com [184.108.40.206]
10 174 ms 173 ms 173 ms be2017.ccr22.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com [220.127.116.11]
11 210 ms 210 ms 210 ms be2066.ccr22.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com [18.104.22.168]
12 215 ms 214 ms 214 ms be2146.ccr22.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com [22.214.171.124]
13 222 ms 222 ms 222 ms be2010.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [126.96.36.199]
14 235 ms 235 ms 235 ms be2157.ccr42.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [188.8.131.52]
15 250 ms 249 ms 249 ms be2080.ccr22.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com [184.108.40.206]
16 248 ms 248 ms 248 ms te0-0-2-3.rcr12.b011027-3.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com 220.127.116.11]
17 248 ms 248 ms 248 ms 18.104.22.168
18 250 ms 250 ms 250 ms gi3-1.cogent.toronto.yyz002.datacenterscanada.com [22.214.171.124]
19 250 ms 249 ms 250 ms static-199-7-239-117.ptr.terago.net [126.96.36.199]
20 250 ms 250 ms 250 ms static-162-213-8-78.ptr.terago.net [188.8.131.52]
21 249 ms 249 ms 249 ms southern.oceania.com.au [184.108.40.206]
The first column, the hop count, represents the number of stops your information has made along the route to attempt to contact the other computer.
The next three columns are the round-trip times in milliseconds for three different attempts to reach the destination. The last column is the name of the host / or server that responded to the request. In this example our southern.oceania.com.au server.
In many cases, our network technician will need to analyze your problem further.
Typically run tracert once to your domain name and once to any ip of your choice. Please email the result(s) to email@example.com for further diagnosis or call us on 1300 301 990
- Please make sure that your domain name is not expired.
- Check the quota on you cpanel mailbox is large enough
- Try using webmail – if the issue is related to the machine/PC you are using
- Confirm that your ISP is not having any issues.